1 boneless pork shoulder roast (3-4 lbs), trimmed
1 c. packed brown sugar
1/3 c. unsweetened apple juice
1/3 c. soy sauce
1/2 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. pepper
2 Tbsp. cornstarch
3 Tbsp. cold water
Cut roast in half; rub with the brown sugar. Place in 5 qt. slow cooker. Pour apple juice and soy sauce over roast. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Cover and cook on low for 6-6.5 hours, or until meat is tender.
Remove roast; cover and let stand 15 minutes. Meanwhile, strain cooking juices and return to slow cooker. Combine cornstarch and cold water until smooth; gradually stir into juices. cover and cook on high for 15 minutes or until thickened. Slice pork, serve with gravy.
Notes from the cook:
I really pressed the brown sugar onto the meat rather than "rubbing" it on. Otherwise, it pretty much all just falls into the bottom of the crock. Also, I wasn't able to really get a gravy or thickened consistency from the 15 mintues in the crock. But this doesn't really change the taste at all. You might just have some sauce on the rest of your plate...
Enjoy!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Love this! I have been addicted to this blog lately:
http://crockpot365.blogspot.com/
I'm trying to expand my recipe collection, so I will take any suggestions I can get!! :D
Kristina, thanks for setting this up. The recipe looks great! I will try.
Post a Comment