Wednesday, October 8, 2008

Chicken & Rice with Asparagus

2 c. water
2 c. cut fresh asparagus (1 inch diagonal pieces)
1 package (6 oz) long grain and wild rice mix
1/4 c. butter, divided
3/4 lb boneless, skinless chicken breasts, 1 inch strips
1 tsp. minced garlic
1/4 tsp salt
1 medium carrot, shredded
2 Tbsp. lemon juice
1/2 tsp. grated lemon peel, optional

In a large saucepan, combine the water, asparagus, rice mix with contents of seasoning packet, and 2 Tbsp. butter. Bring to a boil, reduce heat. Cover and simmer 10-15 minutes or until water is absorbed.

Meanwhile, in a large skillet, saute the chicken, garlic, and salt in remaining butter until juices run clear. Add the carrot, lemon juice, and lemon peel (if desired); cook and stir 1-2 minutes until heated through . Stir into rice mixture.

Notes from the cook:
I usually double this recipe, as my husband is a large eater and a single recipe just wouldn't cut it. I've also never used lemon peel. I just buy lemon juice in a container and add the appropriate amount. I've also found that the rice usually takes longer than 10-15 minutes, especially if I leave the lid on the whole time.

No comments: